Monday, April 30, 2012

Antique Porcelain Repair

Long ago before epoxy glues or super glues, staple or metal clamp repair was used to repair broken china. Like a birth certificate, this type of repair is proof of these pieces' age. It started in ancient China and began as the preferred repair in Europe in the 1600's.  Metal smiths or jewelers of the period did the repair. This beautiful soup bowl was made by the Meissen Porcelain Factory in Meissen, Germany circa 1825. The owner of this piece must have really treasured it to have such a repair done. I  wonder what the cost was to do such a repair? 
Grammy M  





3 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful blog. Thank you for following me.
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi: I did not know they use to staple china. Your blog is very interesting. Have a great day! Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ladies,

    Loving your pretty blog and all your wonderful collectables. I would like to give you my Liebster Award! Please pop over to sweetauburnlife.blogspot.ie for details. I have linked you there...

    Thanks,
    S.A.L.

    ReplyDelete